Sunday, October 10, 2010

Where I write...

Melissa over at Writing with Style asked her readers to post about where they write - here's my response:

To the left you can see my office. It's where I write when I can find the time these days. The lamp is a very recent addition and I love it!

My office is very cozy and has everything I need, including a bookcase with loads of research books and binders with information on my characters, a window for natural light, room enough on my desk for a cat (or two) to snooze and keep me company, and speakers so I can plug my iPod in to listen to music while I write. The small table to the right of my desk belonged to my grandmother - she was one of the first people to encourage me in my writing, so it helps me feel close to her. Also on my desk is a small figurine of a boy and girl standing face to face. My dad bought that for me years ago as a gift while he was on a business trip - I treasure it and who knows, maybe that's what inspired me to write my first love story.

I also have photos of Sean and me, which helps remind me of the true nature of lasting love.

Teresa

8 comments:

Cathie Dunn said...

Very cosy office, Teresa. Of course you have to leave some space for the kitties. ;-)
I have a wide window sill next to my desk so Bob has to go on there.

Thanks for sharing.

Tess said...

Cathie - post a pic of Bob there! I'd love to see it :) The girls sometimes sit side by side on my window sill...

Bren said...

Looks like a nice little corner, Teresa. How're things? And how's the writing coming? We haven't talked in a long time. I left BC a couple of years ago, got remarried (used to be Brenda Oig/Grate) and moved back to BC. :) We live in Kelowna now, not too far from you.

Cheers!

Brenda

Joanne said...

A very cozy space, definitely. I like the idea of leaving room for the cats. I have one too, who likes to paw at the moving cursor on the screen :)

I clicked over from Melissa's, thanks for sharing today!

Christine Fletcher said...

I love that you have everything right to hand...and also cherished mementos from family. Your space is beautiful!

Melissa Amateis said...

Isn't it amazing how much difference a lamp makes? I have one at the day job, too, and it gives off a nice, warm glow to combat that nasty office lighting from above. :-)

Thanks for sharing, Tess!

Tess said...

Thanks, everyone for visiting my little writing corner :)

Brenda - cool to hear you're back in BC!!!

Joanne - my girls don't notice the screen much. They prefer to sit on my work instead *g*.

Christine - thanks! And yes, the mementos really help set the atmosphere.

Melissa - You're right - the lamp makes a big difference, both a stylish touch and a wonderful light...Thanks for hosting the Where I Write Carnival :)

Patricia Preston said...

Great post. Your writing room looks like the perfect place to create.