Wednesday, September 10, 2008

How I Write...

Ok - so I know I said I wouldn't be blogging much, but I figured the following was easy and fun. Melissa posted this great meme on her blog the other day.

What is your genre(s)?
Historical, time travel and contemporary romance. I've completed two HRs, one TT and am working on a contemp.

How many books are you working on now?
Um, three. With several more lined up.

Are you a linear or a chunk writer?
Like Melissa I'm a linear writer. Chunks just don't work for me. I'm also a plotter.

What POV are you partial to?
Third person. It comes naturally to me - usually the hero, heroine and villain have a voice, though in my contemp, it's only the hero and heroine.

What tense do you use?
Past.

What theme keeps cropping up in your books?
I'll just echo Melissa's answer as it's equally applicable and put very succintly: "Forgiveness and acceptance. Forgiving yourself and others and accepting yourself and others."

How many days a week do you write?
Most days, in one way or another. Not enough on my novels right now, but I do try my best.

What time of day do you get your best writing done?
Mid to late afternoon is ideal for me. First thing in the morning doesn't work as my brain doesn't seem to function properly then - at least to be creative. My body is up, but my mind isn't awake fully till around 10 am.

Who are your mentors?
Currently, a couple of author friends. From the past, three of my high school English teachers and a couple of history/art history teachers.

Who are your favorite authors to read?
There's not enough room to list them all, but here are a few: Elizabeth Chadwick, Sandra Gulland, Sharon Kay Penman, Anya Seton, Tracy Chevalier, Rosalind Laker, Jo Beverly, Claire Delacroix, Marian Keyes, Cathy Kelly and many, many others.

So - how do YOU write?

Teresa

5 comments:

Melissa Amateis said...

Yay! So glad you decided to do this.

What is your favorite Rosalind Laker book? Mine by far is Tree of Gold. I think I've read it at least 5 times now.

Tess said...

Um, probably To Dance With Kings, though I also liked The Silver Touch and Banners of Silk (among others). I loved the way she wove in the social history and details. Just amazing.

Melissa Amateis said...

Dance With Kings was an amazing book, too, and I think I read that one at least twice.

I also liked her WW2-era one - can't remember the name of it, but it was set in Occupied Norway, I believe.

Lynn said...

Hey Tess! Mind if I clutter your comments with my responses to your question? :)

My genre: contemp romance & women's fic. I'm working on 2 books I'll admit to, but have at least 4 in various stages of completion.

I don't know what linear/chunk writing is, but I write in order. Is that it?

I usually prefer third person POV, but my newest WIP is in first. It's just the way it came to me. But I always write in past tense.

My reoccurring themes seem to be issues of self-esteem and self-discovery.

I write whenever I can, but seem to get the best done in my truck during my kids Tae Kwon Do lessons.

Okay, I'm done. How've you been?

Julianne Douglas said...

Ooh, I have To Dance with Kings on my TBR shelf. I'll have to get to it soon...