Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Wishing time away....

This is the post I thought of, then forgot a few weeks ago! And it's even more à propos now, seeing as we're likely not going to be in the house till the first week of September.

Anyone who knows me well, knows I LOVE summer and that the last thing I normally do is wish the season away. But this year I'm doing just that. But part of me is rebelling, reminding me how precious each and every day is. That no matter how much I want our house to be done so we can move in, that there's more to life than that.

It's something we all do, starting as kids when the annual Christmas countdown begins some time in October. We wish away the school year, the winter etc. Forgetting, of course, that most of us are fortunate enough to be leading good lives, ones that should be enjoyed for what they are.

Is this making sense? I hope so. Am I the only one who regrets the days we lose by wishing them away too quickly? Who worries about these things? Who thinks that one day in the not so distant future they'll look back at the time they wanted to pass so quickly and want it back?

In other news

I've been doing some more character work for my ms. But am finding it really hard to concentrated. I did do some free writing which always seems to help and learned about my hero's childhood. But I'm also seriously starting to think of myself as a fraud with this whole writing thing. Others seem to be able to write no matter what is happening in their lives, a lot of it far worse than just waiting for a house to be finished. *sigh* OTOH, my characters keep bugging me to tell their story, so I know I'll start writing sooner or later.

Teresa

Currently Reading: The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant
Also Currently Reading: Angels by Marian Keyes

3 comments:

Melissa Amateis said...

Life has a way of getting in the way, but you have to work around it. That's something I've definitely learned over the past two months. :)

Tess said...

I know how much you've been through, which is why I've felt so guilty. And like such a fraud.

However, I wrote three pages yesterday! Almost all the opening scene :)

Kelly Boyce said...

Oh, I do the same thing. Every time I think 'I wish it was next week' there's this little voice in my head going 'no, not so fast!'. And every time I waste time, I'm thinking 'well there's time I'll never get back'.

But I'm with you on wishing summer away which I never do! I just want end of September to come so I can bring my puppy home!!