Tuesday, March 07, 2006

So I finished one of my review books yesterday and...

wow. Hmm, not really sure what to say.

I know reading is subjective, but had I judged this in a contest, my scores wouldn't have been great. And yet, it's been published by a major house with a prominent editor and agented by someone really well-known and respected. I found THAT out at the end. Now, this just floored me. Am I THAT far out of touch? If this is what it takes to get published, well then, I'll never have it happen for me.

It makes me question a) the industry itself, b) my own judgement and c) my own writing.

But then again, I also know, all reading is subjective. I have to stop comparing myself to others and do what feels right for me. NOR should I feel intimidated about giving a less than glowing review because of the agent and editor supporting this novel. As always, I'll be as fair as possible - I don't savage books. But nor will I pussyfoot around and pretend I liked it when, frankly, I grew more and more frustated as I read. If it weren't for the fact I'd damage the wall of a house that I'll only be in for another few weeks, I'd have launched the book. That, and doing so would've scared the cats.

Anyway, I need to stop whining and get on with my OWN work.

Teresa

Currently Reading: Another book for review
Link of the Day: Weymouth, Dorset (one of my fave places as a child - check out the link to Osmington)

No comments: