Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Has it really been fifteen years...

since I defended my thesis? I can't believe it. Yes, I did defend my MA thesis on Robbie Burns Day. Sean's Scottish grandmother saw this as a very good sign and she proved right :-)

Funny thing is, I can still picture the room, see the people round the table, remember my pounding heart, sweaty palms and racing mind as I fielded questions. Followed by the agonizing half-hour wait outside the room in Mac Corry. Sean kept me company, poor guy. I was such a wreck and really not fit company till my supervisor came out to tell me I'd passed with minor revisions needed. Those minor revisions consisted of adding a few footnotes for a super-picky prof who felt I really should have referenced JL David's birthdate (yeah, like THAT'S not available in at least five million sources).

But writing and defending that thesis proved to me that I could write and complete a book, one that passed muster within the academic community. Granted, one prof called it "pedestrian", but hey, at least he didn't trash it.

Since then I've completed three full fiction mss. The lessons I learned from that thesis proved invaluable - especially each time I reach that point where I'm certain I can't finish. I remember sitting on the couch in my rented apartment in August of 1990 saying "I can't do it. I can't do it." Sean said, "Well, you've got two choices - finish it or don't. Just make up your mind." And he was right. So I gave it some thought, and figured I'd keep going and see. Just knowing he actually thought NOT finishing was actually an option gave me a sense of freedom. And within a few months I was done. Except for those darned footnotes *vbg*.

Later today I get to clean the fridge! Oh joy. But it has to be done. And seeing as the fridge is at least half-empty right now, it won't be too bad of a job.

I didn't get a whole lot of writing done yesterday, but I did do some more character work - hand-written in my pretty notebook. Just some more brainstorming, but at least it keeps that percolator going :-)

Comments on Comments

Gabrielle - Symptoms is actually pretty good. CKL can actually write and he's open and honest. Not at all affected. I'm really enjoying it :-)

Mel - A fifth-wheel trailer is one that fits over the flatbed of a pick-up truck. It hooks on there, rather than using a trailer hitch.

Lynn - you asked about "full range of scores" - that means using everything from a 1 to a 5 (or 1 to 10). Some judges say they won't give a mark below a 3 or a 6, but I don't see the point in that.

Ok - my tummy is now demanding brekkie, so I'm off upstairs to get it. Then I'll have to fend Chloe off - she LOVES cereal *g*.

Teresa

Currently Reading: Symptoms of Withdrawal by Christopher Kennedy Lawford
Link of the Day: Susanne Alleyn's website - her next book, Game of Patience is out in March



No comments: