Sunday, February 13, 2005

More random thoughts from this weekend - "We're Here for a Good Time..."

The link takes you to a song I hadn't listened to in years, until quite recently when I added it to my MP3 player for the gym. I love to work out, but HAVE to have music to do it.

So there I am, on the eliptical trainer, listening to this song from my childhood and finding new meaning in it. Yes, the lyrics are deceptively simple, but they hold a very basic truth. We ARE only here for a short time (in the grand scheme of things) and no, things aren't great every day. BUT, that doesn't mean we can't look for and find joy.

As romance writers we crave the happy ending, especially those of us who take our characters on particularly tortuous journeys. And as writers we often find the journey through our ms particularly difficult. Especially as we do expect so often to just have things flow. That I think is what struck me while listening to this song - the sun can't shine every day, but we have to remember that life is what we make of it. So is our writing and the process behind it.

I also enjoy another of Trooper's songs and include it in my music selection for writing. Raise a Little Hell has been a standby in Canadian music since the 70s, almost an anthem for those of us growing up in that period. I remember roller skating to it, along with at least 200 other people, all pumping our arms in the air (disco didn't last long at our roller rink). This song too should be taken to heart - it's empowering and inspiring all at once. As writers, we can't depend on anyone but ourselves to get the job done, as far as our mss are concerned anyway.

And for those fellow Canucks who grew up listening to this home-grown band, hope you enjoyed the trip down memory lane!

Teresa

No comments: